Selected Families and Individuals


Vada Florence May FULLER

Vada had lived with her parents at Anduramba when she was a child and along with the other children walked about thre miles to school after rising early to ensure that the milking was done. The family later moved to Virginia Where thankfully the school was much closer. Playtime was almost non-existant in those days as all and sundry,big and small were required tolend a hand with the farm chores.Vada remebers using corn cobs for dolls, the silk being the dolls hair, these would be dressed in rags and gave lots of pleasure in the snatched minutes of play. At the tender age of thirteen Vada cared for the family during her mothers long convalescence following an operation. At fifteen she left home to work as housemaid and childrens nurse at Kumbia near Kingaroy. She returned to Crows Nest and worked for the Lalor family( Mr. Lalor was the stationmaster) for some time before returning to the family farm at Virginia. Bill and Ted Rasmussen were at that time living with the Fuller family and helping to run the wood depot. Vada married Bill on the 6 March 1930 in Crows Nest, where they lived while Bill continued to run the wood depot.
Later he worked for the Shire council and then at Emmerson's power plant and then back with the council. They purchased a 30 acre farm at Virginia thinking it would be a good place to bring up children, they had two children born in Crows Nest and another five born in Virginia. During the only years Bill camped away sometimes only coming home every second weekend while Vada battled on rearing her young family. She told the story of walking a mile through a storm to her parents home to get help for one of her sick children and the chimney catching fire in the old weatherboard house where they lived and putting it out with a stirrup pump in a bucket. Vada established and ran a turkey farm alone (except for the small chores her children could do). The money enabled the family to build a new house (from two old ones) they lived in a garage while this was done. Vada became a crackshot with her old .22 rifle using it to defend the turkey chicks from hawks and the eggs fromgoannas. Many a snake also met it's demise this way. The cream carter was the only means of obtaining provisions during the week and would bring bread on a regular basis. If it ran out Vada would make her own. Pidgeon soup was also on the menu quite often when the meat ran out as was turkey which others thought of as a luxury. Bill passed away in January 1968 and Vada and her remaing children stayed on at Virginia until she sold out and moved to a new home in Crows Nest in 1974. She lived there until ill-health forced her to move to Kooltoopa in 1990. Vada always loved gardening and established prize winning gardens both at Virginia and Crows Nest